The Pawnee County Sheriff’s Office is currently seeking highly motivated qualified candidates for the position of Detention Officer. The Pawnee County Jail is responsible for the safe and efficient housing of both pre and post-conviction detainees.
To perform this job successfully, a candidate must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Applicants must be able to work any shift, any day of the week, and overtime as needed.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to Multi-task, with basic computer skills and basic reading/writing comprehension.
- Must have good communication skill's both verbally and in writing.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Must pass a background check.
- No Felony charges.
- No multiple Misdemeanors charges.
- No domestic-related convictions.
Detention Deputies must complete the PCSO Training Program to perform their duties. The training program is designed to ensure proper monitoring and provide effective instruction throughout the new recruit’s training in accordance with State and Federal laws.
Each member of the Pawnee County Jail is required to complete annual compliance training in accordance with Oklahoma Jail Standards. In addition, Deputies are trained in many other areas pertaining to their work environment, safety and security, and job-related duties. Deputies receive training in handcuffing, chemical weapons, and defensive tactics. Deputies certified as Peace Officers must also complete annual required CLEET training.
- Other essential duties and functions include, but are not limited to the following;
- Facilitating the legal admission & release of all detainees booked into the Pawnee County Jail
- Accurately identifying all detainees & maintaining discipline of all detainees
- Searching detainees and their quarters according to the guidelines for contraband, drugs, and weapons
- Providing under established procedures, social services to the inmates that include counseling, visitation, clergy, attorneys, and mail privileges
- Being responsible for the cleanliness of detainees, their clothing, and their environment
- Securing all personal cash and property according to guidelines
- Providing for a safe environment for the detainees and immediately abating any hostile actions
- Aid in carrying out the decisions and orders of the courts
- Transportation of inmates as required
- Report any safety or security problems within the facility to the shift supervisor
- Supervise orderlies who deliver detainees meals & do custodial work in the detention center
- Routinely conduct detainees checks for safety and security as well as checking for illness or injury
- Be observant for the introduction of any contraband into the facility
- Ability to apply common sense to carry out instructions provided in written or oral form in dealing with problems
- Ability to meet and deal effectively with others, ability to work steadily and quickly, & ability to work with minimum supervision
- Knowledge of emergency procedures and implementation
- Paid vacation leave
- Paid sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Paid health insurance for the employee (spouse and children may be added with cost paid by employee)
- All uniforms and equipment for the job are provided by the employer.
Ready to apply for Detention Officer? Follow the steps below to get started.
Please download the Employment Application (You will need Adobe Reader installed).
If you cannot print the application, you may pick one up in person from the Sheriff's Office Administrator. Once completed, please return it to the following address:
Pawnee County Sheriff's Office
500 Harrison Street
Pawnee, Ok 74058
Upload your Application
Submit your Application Online